Baked tofu Chimichanga with grilled romaine, pico de gallo, and avocado cream
Yield: 6 servings
- 10- 8inch whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 1lbs block of extra firm tofu
- 4 oz. small dice or chopped red onion
- 8 oz. fresh corn grilled
- 8 oz. cooked and drained black beans
- 4 oz. small dice or chopped red bell pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Nutritional yeast flakes (NYF)
- 1 oz chopped cilantro by volume
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried garlic
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt To Taste
- Black pepper To Taste
- Vegetable oil to sauté
Pico de Gallo
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 2 oz. diced red onion
- 1 oz. chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp. minced jalapeno
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt TT
- ground white pepper TT
Avocado Sour cream
- 1 ripe avocado diced
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- Agave nectar syrup TT
- Salt TT
- Cayenne pepper TT
- 2 Heads of Romaine lettuce, quartered
10. Turn down heat and add in onion and sweat till lightly translucent.
11. When onions are done sweating, add in seasoning and then remove from heat.
12. Combine tofu with corn and black bean filling.
13. Take tortillas and warm either in a pan or microwave for 10 seconds. Warming the tortillas makes then easier to work with.
14. Using a spoon add filling into tortillas and wrap tightly so that filling is secure.
15. Place fished wrap in an oven safe dish and finish wrapping all tortillas.
16. Place in the oven to brown and crisp the shell. If using a convection oven, rotate once after 10 to 15 minutes. A regular oven will need to be rotated every 10. Cook until shell becomes crisp and lightly browned, about 25 to 30 minutes.
17. While tortillas bake, combine avocado and lime juice and mash until desired texture. Combine the rest of the ingredients and stir or whisk till combined.
18. Season mixture and reserve in refrigerator with plastic wrap pressed against cream to keep out air.
19. Take romaine quarters and lightly oil, place lettuce on a grill or grill pan to char. Remove after 1-2 minutes and season.
20. When your Chimichangas are the desired texture, remove from oven and garnish with salad, pico de gallo, and avocado sour cream.
21. This recipe can also be changed if you don't want the tofu. For the competition for example, we could remove the tofu and Yeast flakes, and replace it with some diced seared Kampachi.