GRAPHIC: Man says e-cig exploded in his pants - KFVE, K5-Hawaii News, Weather and Sports

GRAPHIC: Man says e-cig exploded in his pants

The e-cigarette battery was in his pocket when he said it blew up, burning his outer thigh and hand. (Source: KTRK/CNN) The e-cigarette battery was in his pocket when he said it blew up, burning his outer thigh and hand. (Source: KTRK/CNN)

HOUSTON, TX (KTRK/CNN) - A man says his e-cig exploded in his pocket and covered him in flames.

Andy Veal went to the emergency room with first-degree and second-degree burns.

"All of a sudden something exploded in my pocket," he said.

The moment was captured on video - a flash of fire then Veal hit the floor.

"My pants were on fire, and I couldn't get out of my pants fast enough," he said.

The e-cigarette battery was in his pocket when he said it blew up, burning his outer thigh and hand.

"It shouldn't happen, and I'd like to look into why it happened and how they can prevent it in the future," Veal said.

E-cigarette battery mishaps are not common, but they do happen. Similar lithium-ion batteries have been linked to exploding smartphones, laptops and hoverboards.

"If this happened while I was driving it would have been a lot worse," Veal said.

Vaping has kept Veal from smoking for 4 years, but he doesn't want a repeat.

"I'm going to be a lot more careful from now on," he said.

Copyright 2018 KTRK via CNN. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2001 - 2018 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.
FCC Public File
Email: publicfile@k5thehometeam.com
Phone: 808-847-9371
Closed Captioning